Considering the switch from academia to industry?

I'm often asked about how I transitioned from academia to industry. My career started in the fields of Psychology and Behavioural Neuroscience, where I completed a PhD and spent years as a lab researcher working with rodents. Even though I was successful enough to be named one of Forbes' 100 Most Influential Women in Mexico, I realized in 2019 that my dream of having my own lab might not happen. This made me look for new opportunities.

Leaving my academic career was scary, but it also started a new journey full of learning. If you're thinking about making a similar move, here are some insights from my experience:

- Leaving academia is not a failure: It took me several reminders that moving on to something new is a step forward, not backward.

- Academia is not the only career option: I started my PhD with a single goal in mind: leading my own lab. It was only later that I discovered the opportunities available outside academic research. Your skills are valuable in many other settings.

- Identify your transferable skills: My research skills and knowledge in psychology were directly applicable in developing public policy. I realized that my expertise in experimental psychology was unique and valuable. Understanding how your skills can benefit another industry is crucial. For instance, my kno
wledge of self-control theories was a key asset when I joined The Behavioural Insights Team, showing how it could help develop interventions for smoking and drinking.

- Network as much as you can: Start connecting with people in your desired industry through conferences and platforms like LinkedIn. Sharing your skills and interests can open many doors.

- Prepare for a different kind of interview: Interviewing for a position in industry is very different from academia. Research the industry, think about how your skills can contribute, and prepare to discuss them.

- Combat imposter syndrome: It's natural to doubt yourself, but remember, everyone fails at some point. What matters is pushing forward and not letting those failures define you. Before anything else, I am Lourdes, and my identity is not tied solely to my professional achievements.

- Keep your contacts in academia: They might come in handy, and remember to be grateful for what you learned there. I had the rare experience of having an exceptional PhD supervisor. The lessons I learned from him extended beyond academia.

For those of you considering this path, I hope my experience encourages you to pursue your ambitions with confidence. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Control and Commitment

How does hyperbolic discounting affect financial well-being?